Sunday, January 29, 2012

Life's a Zoo

Life as changed in one major way for me since my cancer diagnoses. Oh yes, there a all kinds of aches and pains and mental games that is a white elephant gift that you got stuck with. Sure,there is tons of life altering things in cancer. But, I am talking about a change that sort of ruins something...okay maybe not ruins, just makes it a real challenge...that was so enjoyable, watching movies.
We, my parents and the kids, went to We Bought a Zoo. Okay, no one warned me that the mother dies of some disease. Maybe I was warned and just didn't remember. Regardless, watching a movie about the mother dying leaving her babies behind, leaving the man she loves behind, seeing how it all may play out is a bit hard when that is your own reality.
It is no secret that my husband seeks adventures with a touch of risk. I used to have nightmares as a young bride that he would fall off a mountain in a rock slide. That is probably because he actually did survivie a rock slide on Wilson Peak, a Colorado Fourteener. When the kids were babies, I was convenieced one day I would pick up the phone and instead of hearing Daddy claiming he will be home in an hour and probably too tired to change a diaper, it would be the authorities looking for me to ID the body. I thought about it. I thought about life as a widow with my two little ones.
I never thought about me being the one who might die when the kids are still young and needing parenting. So yes, watching this movie hit a home run smack into my heart. Just three years ago, I would have cried at this movie. I would have thought how sad this is yet great that the family move through the proper psychological stages of grief. Now, I watch this and see my own family. I am glad that I was smushed between two little blonde heads who both asked if we could visit the real Rosemont Zoo when we go to California. Sure, Dears, after we visit the aquarimum where Zoey from the Dolphin Tale lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment