Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why?

It is not surprising that during the past couple of days I have been asked why I decided to be baptized as an adult.  Some question because of curiosity.  Some ask because they are asking themselves.  One asked someone I know, who then told me, if I would be marching around witnessing to others since I was joining one of those "big" churches.  Nay, that is not the Sara you know.  My religion is a personal one that is meek.  I witness through example and charity.
   But, let us get back to the question at hand, why did I choose to be baptized?  As I listened to the explanation of the history and theology of the church I had been attending, but was not a member of, I learned that it was where I belonged.  Basically, they exsist somewere between Presbyterians and Methodist with a little Baptists thrown in the mix.  I grew up in a Methodist church in Texas where the pastor looked just like Jesus from the hair to the sadals.  During my teen years, we moved to California and joined a Presbyterian church.  I was very active in the high school youth group and even sat in the very front pew with my pals on Sundays my parents could not attend.  I woke up at 5:30 am, mind you I am not a morning person, to drive 20 minutes north to a Wednesday morning bible study.  I promise I was never a second late to the 7:55 am start time at my high school.  Well, maybe you will have the ask Mr. Akamichi for sure as I was the only fourth year art student in his first block and probably snuck in the back door on a few mornings.
   So, moving out on my own to Colorado, I attended Presbyterian churches and eventually joined one when my children were born.  I worked in the nursery every other Sunday and immensely enjoyed the Easter egg hunts.  Again, that church went through some political issues that made me feel uncomfortable.  I felt through this process that the philosophy of the church changed to one that was exclusionary.  That was not who I was.  It wasn't what I believed.  Jesus sat with the prostitutes, the poor, the wretched, and yes, I am sure, those who were gay. 
   I started to attend Rocky Mountain Christian Church because it was easy.  My kids went to school there and it is ten minutes or less from my house.  I kept attending because I was welcomed.  I was not judged.  Every Sunday, I was given a nugget of clay, and it was up to me to mold it.  Finally, I found again what I found in high school.  I found the voice of God in my heart and a place that said it was okay to trust what it was saying.  Oh, yes, sometimes the music is too loud.  Sometimes I doze off for a second.  Just a second, I promise.  Sometimes I miss the old hymnal.  And, I hate it when they run out of donut holes.  But, nothing is perfect. 
   I didn't know I would be baptized.  The voice spoke.  And I was.  It is pretty simple, really.  To do something as Jesus had done felt comforting, warm, uplifting, and accepting.  It felt like love.  It felt like the first minute I held each of my children after they were born.  I had no idea.  I was baptized alone with my family as witnesses because I needed it to be still of emotions and sounds that would distract me from his  presence. 
   For everyone out there, no matter if you are Jewish, Hindu, Unified, Buddhist, Catholic, or Islamic, step forward with God.  Yes, I believe our God is one God for everyone.  Step forward with whatever ritual, meditation, celebration your teachings offer.  Maybe doing so sounds really big and or a little scary.  So listen to the God-voice inside of you.  (By the way, some call it intuition and others call it listening to signs.)  You know when it is right.  Step forward and sit on God's chair.  You might like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment