Thursday, May 3, 2012

Survivor tip number one: Move it.

This morning, I ran my long loop, 5k, without stop in 45 minutes. It has been five months since I have been able to do this. But, I will have you know, I didn't run out the door without a little effort. I am asked often how I do it; how do I survive. Well, I learned to move it. During my initial chemo three yesrs ago, I walked everyday. Some days it was eough to cirle the block. Other days, I could push a mile at a good clip. Once I finished chemo, I had some weight to get off and strength to regain. I started a regular Birkum yoga pratice and continued to walk. One day, I decided to run a little. So I did. The next time out, I ran more. Then, I ran the whole mile loop without stopping. By the end of the following summer, I was running about three miles without stop. During the whole brain radiation I received last November, my body aged several years in the time span of four weeks. My muscles lost mass and fatigued easily. My legs felt as if they were in constant cramps. But, I got out there and walked. Being winter, I did more hot yoga classes then walk in the cold. I kept moving. I never stopped trying to do tree pose like I had before my brain was fried. I never gave up on the concept of running the long loop without stop again. It took time, I had to be patient with my body. I had to go to yog or ventue on a run even when I didn't feel like it. But, I did it. It's not one hudred percent yet, but it will be. The phyiscal benefits of regularily running and yoga is pretty obvious. I lost the eighteen pounds I gained during chemo, kept my heart pumping and felt great in my tall spin as I twisted and moved in yoga. What really made the differene is the sure fact I didn't give up. So I had a set back this year, but I got back on the horse as fast as I could. It is the mental challenge that is the greatest benefit as a survivor. As I was running today, I wanted to stop part way. I told my legs they weren't allowed to give up. So they kept going even when the going was slow. Just like in yoga on Tuesday, I wanted to not do a certain pose. I was tired. But, I did it anyway. I don't want to sit in a recliner every three weeks to get my targetted drug. I don't want to wake up at one am wondering if I remembered to take my oral drug on and empty stomach. But, I do it. I make the best of it. Running has taught me that. Maybe running and yoga is not your thing. Find something, anything, you enjoy. Team sports are great because they provide your with a community of support. Walking is the simpliest. It does not cost a thing. Just go outsie and work your machine. Walk longer slowly. Walk faster over time. And, who knows, maybe one day, you will run. I don't what tomorrow will hold. But, I do know one thing. Tomorrow, when I run, I will go faster. And, the next yoga class I take, I will not look at the clock because it is alright if I don't like all of it especially when I am feeling weak. Yes, my number one survivor tip is to move it. Move it for your body. Move it for your mind. It is all about not giving up before the race is over regardless if you are winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment