Monday, June 25, 2012

Just a Moment

It just takes a moment. Really, just a minute. But, the reward can last all day. The other day, I went in to get a rice milk late half hazelnut, half vanilla. Ms. Barista poured the frothy beverage into my cup and said, "I hope you notice how how particularly creamy the rice milk is today." She stared down at the froth stirring the delicate carmel and white foam into a shape of heart. Her eyes were lit with subdue amusement. I told her that I was glad she noticed something so small in her day. She looked at me confused. So I told her that most people don't take the time to experience the small moments, the beautiful weed in the sidewalk crack, how facinating a crushed bottle cap looks in all its shiny glory in the parking lot, or that too many humming birds actually can make a noise that is a bit unnerving. "I am just saying it is nice to meet someone who notices details like me. Most people don't have that skill. We are so lucky." Her smile tells me it has been a long time since someone told her she was neat as she watched me push the door open with my back. It only takes a moment to notice someone. Just a minute. Gift for them. A gift for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment